We can think of a long list of reasons why we love where we live, but having Squaw Valley in our backyard is certainly at the top of it! After the first week of the New Year we’ve received over a foot of new snow, and we’re looking forward to a warm, sunny week ahead – perfect for enjoying a DIY Après hangout at your personal parked car basecamp. The mountain operations team has done an excellent job maintaining trails, opening terrain, and managing the flow of skiers and riders. Although this year is full of challenges and adjustments to the mountain experience, it’s so wonderful to find a semblance of normal on the slopes! We are so thankful to everyone working hard to keep the mountain open and feeling safe for us to enjoy.
Winter is here in full swing! There are plenty of trails to explore and options to avoid crowds on the hill this season. Squaw and Alpine are both fully open, with minimal trail closures. Just look at these stats:
- 20 Open Lifts
- 147 Open Trails
- 38 Groomed Runs
- 3 Open Parks
- 10 Open Lifts
- 66 Open Trails
- 26 Groomed Runs
- 2 Open Parks
Safety measures are still in place to protect the health and safety of guests and staff, so please remember to do your part in practicing social distancing in public areas, wear your mask in the village, the lift line and any shared indoor spaces. We can all do our part to ensure resorts are able to stay open all season. You can always check on current updates and policies at Squaw here.
How to DIY Après Like a Pro
All dining and food and beverage offerings in the Village remain available for to-go only, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy Après after getting your turns. With a little extra planning, you can set up an Après al Fresco from the comfort of your parking space! Think of your parking area as your basecamp this season – filled with all the amenities you’d expect in the lodge. Squaw Valley encourages you to only share your space, food, and beverages with people from your household/party. Here are some tips on how to prepare for and set up an Après al Fresco station in the parking lot!
Prepare your Space
- Pack a picnic basket in your car with essentials like reusable utensils, plates, and cups so you can lay out a spread on the tailgate. We are big fans of these insulated tumblers for everything from coffee to cocktails!
- Stash camping chairs and extra blankets in your trunk so you can set up a comfortable seating area to kick back in after you take off your boots!
- Throw in a few extra pairs of socks and warm layers just in case.
Enjoy the Place
- Order food and drinks ahead of time online! Many restaurants are offering online ordering so you can choose the time you’d like your food to be ready and simply pick it up when you arrive. Others are offering walk-up ordering for to-go orders. You can see the full list of who is offering what here.
- Set up a DIY drink station: pack a cooler with an assortment of juices, sparkling water, and canned beer or wine. Level up with a batch cocktail – who doesn’t enjoy a margarita in the sunshine? Premix your own ahead of time in a thermos or growler, or pick up a pre-made one from Tremigo and serve in reusable cups over ice.
- Bring a Bluetooth speaker so you can play favorite tunes without turning on the car. Pro tip: have everyone in your household add their favorite songs to a shared playlist.
Let us know how you’re enjoying the season this year! Follow us on Instagram @thepalisadesatsquaw and use #palisadesatsquaw or tag us in your photos for a chance to be featured!